|Job Status :
||Full Time, Employee
||City of Odessa
|Posting Date :
|Closing Date :
4:30 PM Central
|Relevant Experience :
|Number of Positions :
This vacancy has expired and is for reference only.
City of Odessa
Under the supervision of the Director of Public Works, the GIS Manager heads the GIS Division, including the management of its staff in the delivery of City’s GIS (Geographic Information System). The GIS Manager is also the City’s liaison on GIS related issues with other local entities, including, but not limited to, Ector County 911 District, Ector County Appraisal District, the GIS Division is responsible for taking a leadership role in the development, implementation, dissemination, and maintenance of GIS related databases, maps, reports, and public information for the City of Odessa.
Special Notices to Applicants
Job Duties 1. Under the general direction of the Director of Public Works, develops, implements, and manages polices, standards and specifications related to hardware and software, establishes protocols, provides deliverables, in all aspects of City’s GIS function.
2. Supervises GIS Division staff, set their performance measures, annually evaluate their performance, interprets GIS and City policies for the staff, undertakes staff hiring, and necessary disciplinary actions.
3. Interprets City GIS mandate and policies into City wide GIS implementation strategy, based on needs of various departments, and City’s desire to disseminate information internally and externally.
4. Make presentations to direct supervisor, City Manager, Department Directors, City Council, to advocate the benefits of using GIS system and obtain appropriate approvals.
5. Liaisons with other departments in the City to determine their needs and opportunities to promote GIS technology in improving their operations.
6. In collaboration with the department heads, develops an implementations strategy for the departments and resolves the logistics of providing timely deliverables.
7. Creates and assigns projects and tasks based on the implementation strategy, for the GIS staff to provide agreed deliverables.
8. Monitors progress of all phases of the implementation process and guides GIS division staff in providing its deliverables.
9. Liaisons with external agencies to collaborate GIS integration efforts, sharing information, developing universal standards for the region.
10. Develops and maintains various GIS products for internal, external agencies, and the public use on City’s website.
11. Plans, administers, and monitors GIS Division annual budget, taking into account present and future needs of the division.
12. Plans, develops, implements and maintains the hardware and software assets, including quality control measures.
13. Plans, implements, and maintains City’s GIS security measures to ensure integrity of the GIS database, and hardware.
14. Liaisons and coordinates with outside agencies including, but not limited to 911 response, Ector County Appraisal District, franchise utilities, PBRPC, regarding integration of GIS information across external agencies and the City.
15. Assesses GIS staff training needs to develop and implement a training strategy.
16. Keep abreast of latest GIS technology.
17. Other duties as assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience Education and Experience: A high school diploma or GED is required; a Bachelor’s Degree in geography, GIS, or computer science with a minimum of 4(four) years of progressive experience in a related field is preferred; OR an Associate’s degree in geography, GIS, computer science with a minimum of 6 years of related, progressive experience will be considered. All education levels above must have a minimum of 3 years of supervisor level experience in a related field.
Certification: A valid Texas Driver’s License. Certification in GIS.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Knowledge of core requirements for GIS of all City and municipal functional groups including land development, public safety, transportation, utility infra-structure, and community based functions. Knowledge of laws, codes and regulations related to the development and implementation of a GIS. Knowledge of hardware and software requirements for successful implementation of a City based universal GIS. Knowledge of general business management principles and practices. Knowledge of principles of budget development and administration. Knowledge of engineering and cartographic mathematics. Knowledge of contract administration of professional services. Skill in tactfully negotiating contracts and agreements. Skill in effective presentation of complex, technical ideas to varied audience. Skill in use of personal computer and use of Microsoft office, ESRI, Bentley related software. Ability to supervise effectively, communicate concise directions, delegate responsibility, and hold accountability of the supervised staff. Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with staff, city management, elected officials, external agencies and the public. Ability to deal with multiple issues, set priorities and resolve issues in a timely manner.