SWCA Environmental Consultants is an employee-owned company of environmental professionals who specialize in natural and cultural resource management, environmental planning, and regulatory compliance.
We are seeking a GIS Specialist I for our Sheridan, Wyoming office. The GIS Specialist will support both our natural and cultural resource programs in Sheridan, Wyoming. This is a full-time, hourly position reporting to the GIS Specialist III. Pay is based on individual qualifications and experience.
We offer an informal, team-oriented work environment, and a competitive compensation and benefits package, including an employee stock ownership plan (retirement).
• Help build and maintain GIS/cartographic capabilities to support natural and cultural resources programs in Sheridan, with occasional work coming from our Denver, Colorado, and Bismarck, North Dakota, offices;
• Conduct analyses of geographic data sets in Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst, and the Raster Calculator;
• Develop file geodatabases compliant with SWCA standards;
• Coordinate with other GIS staff members to maintain adequate workflows within the GIS group;
• Basic editing and map making in ArcGIS 10.x, including merging attributes from different data sources, symbolizing features, importing/exporting a wide range of file types to produce a cartographic product in an appropriate amount of time;
• Maintain a clean, organized, and well designed file structure for both spatial and non-spatial data;
• Create sophisticated final map products using ArcGIS showing basic (roads, streams, buildings, etc.), intermediate (buffers, overlays, merges, viewsheds, spatial joins and relates, etc.), and advanced (raster math, analyses, models, multi-variate statistics, multi-dimensional data arrays, etc.) data representations; and,
• Develop FGDC-compliant metadata to document geographic data sets.
• BA/BS in cultural and/or natural resources with an emphasis in GIS (or GIS certificate). Master’s degree a plus.
• 1 - 3 years professional work experience beyond university attendance.
• Prior GIS work in natural or cultural resources management, remote sensing, and/or water resources is preferred.
• Experience working with federal land agencies such as the USACE, USFS, NPS, BLM, BOR, USGS, or other, is desirable.
• Strong understanding of topological relationships, troubleshooting complex data sets, and applying creative solutions to problems.
• Demonstrated ability of data transfer, data analysis, data mining, and data inventory using basic spreadsheet applications (e.g., Excel, Access, ArcGIS feature classes and tables).
• Demonstrated knowledge of cartography and computer mapping including design principles and understanding map creation procedures in ArcGIS 10.x.
• General understanding of basic statistics, and geometric math computations (e.g., summary, distributions, frequency, min/max, range, angles, distance, slope, degrees, area).
• Demonstrated ability to lead a team and resolve issues that arise in an efficient and diplomatic manner.
• Demonstrated experience with GPS technology, field data collection techniques, data integration to a GIS, and troubleshooting of equipment and digital files.
• Demonstrated ability to apply spatial and 3D analyses, and raster math within ArcGIS while maintaining data integrity.
• Strong organizational skills relevant to project workflows.
• Knowledge and experience with ArcSDE, creating database schemas, domains, ArcServer/web applications, network analysis, and/or application development is a plus.
• Some exposure to remote sensing theory and/or image processing techniques, including associated remote sensing software (Erdas Imagine, IDL, ENVI, etc.) is a plus.
• Knowledge of Python, .NET, Java, PHP, HTML, is desired but not required.
Headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, SWCA has offices throughout the West, Pacific Northwest, and the Pacific Islands. Since its founding in 1981, SWCA has achieved a national reputation for providing its clients with professional integrity as well as creative solutions based on sound science. SWCA ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
In support of our value of integrity, SWCA promotes a safe and drug free workplace. We participate in e-verify and pre-employment background screening services. SWCA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and covered veterans to apply.