SWCA Environmental Consultants is an employee-owned company of environmental professionals who specialize in natural and cultural resource management, environmental planning, and regulatory compliance.
We are seeking a Senior Environmental Planner/Project Manager with experience assisting Lead Agencies and managing the preparation of environmental documents for our San Luis Obispo office. This is a regular, full-time salaried position that is a career growth opportunity to join SWCA’s expanding California practice. Pay rate will be based on individual qualifications and experience.
We offer an informal, team-oriented work environment, competitive wages, and a competitive benefits package, including an employee stock ownership plan (retirement).
• Serve as project manager for CEQA/NEPA documents prepared for a variety of projects;
• Manage multidisciplinary teams of SWCA staff and sub-consultants;
• Write various sections of CEQA/NEPA documents and review/edit other sections prepared by technical specialists;
• Manage and coordinate complex CEQA/NEPA documents;
• Conduct business development, including client outreach, preparing proposals, and conducting interviews and presentations;
• Ensure CEQA/NEPA project quality, schedule, and budget objectives;
• Make client and public presentations of CEQA/NEPA documents;
• Take initiative, resolve problems, and identify improved procedures to assure client needs are met effectively;
• Work closely with project managers, directors, and principals throughout the company to promote SWCA’s business interests in adherences to its mission, vision, and values; and,
• Contribute to expanding SWCA’s professional reputation in environmental consulting and research.
• Bachelor’s degree in environmental planning or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
• At least five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in preparing CEQA/NEPA documents.
• At least two (2) years business development experience in a support role.
• Working knowledge of CEQA and California land use regulations.
• Excellent written, logic, organizational, oral, analytical, and document management skills.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
• Ability to travel as needed for projects throughout California.
• Willingness to learn, have fun, and grow into increased management responsibilities.
• Experience with alternative energy, transportation, infrastructure, transmission, and UC and state university projects.
• Working knowledge of NEPA, Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, and other federal regulations.
• Working knowledge of CPUC requirements, including preparation of PEAs.
• Experience with environmental compliance, Coastal Development Permits, GIS, and public involvement and presentation skills are also a plus.
Headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, SWCA has offices throughout the West, Pacific Northwest, and the Pacific Islands. Since its founding in 1981, SWCA has achieved a national reputation for providing its clients with professional integrity as well as creative solutions based on sound science. SWCA ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
In support of our value of integrity, SWCA promotes a safe and drug free workplace. We participate in e-verify and pre-employment background screening services. SWCA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and covered veterans to apply.