Massachusetts Institute of Technology
GIS Support Associate
**This is a full-time, 2-year term appointment with the possibility of extension**
The MIT Libraries seek a self‐motivated, adaptable GIS Support Associate with the ability to learn quickly to join the innovative, service‐oriented staff of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) services team within the Specialized Content and Services department. The GIS Support Associate will enjoy supporting a dynamic community working to solve exciting problems across many different subject areas.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the direction of the Senior GIS Specialist, the GIS Support Associate will carry out responsibilities that include:
• Providing GIS user support via regularly scheduled GIS lab hours, assisting with GIS Help email queue, researching answers to questions from users, and providing training sessions.
• Providing support of the GIS lab area and, in collaboration with Library technology colleagues, the GIS computer systems.
• Helping to maintain user self-help GIS tools.
• Participating in Geodata repository data evaluation, metadata creation, data loading and troubleshooting of data loading.
• Assisting in learning new versions of GIS software.
• In collaboration with the GIS team, researching best practices for Geodata repositories and investigating emerging trends in GIS.
• Involvement in special projects as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: Required: Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Urban Planning, Ecology, Engineering, Computer Science, Remote Sensing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience that includes at least 2 years related work experience. Strong GIS skills, including proficiency with ArcGIS as well as ability to and comfort with demonstrating tools to others. Strong data management and data analysis skills. Careful attention to detail and persistent pursuit of accuracy and consistency. Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) and ability to interact successfully in a diverse and dynamic community. Demonstrated ability and commitment to provide high level customer service. Familiarity with geospatial data sources to support teaching and research. A keenness for learning and mastering new software, systems and technology and for assisting others in their use. Proven organizational skills, including ability to multi-task, manage competing priorities and to meet deadlines. Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Flexibility to successfully adapt and work in a changing environment. Preferred ‐ Experience with Python, SQL, ModelBuilder, ArcSDE, Geoserver, or Oracle. Conversant with current and developing Geospatial technologies. Knowledgeable about GPS.
HOURS: 35 hours per week, Monday‐Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Some flexibility in scheduling may be possible.
Apply online at: http://jobs.mit.edu. MIT Libraries is committed to diversity within its community and particularly encourages applications from qualified women and minority candidates.
MIT offers excellent benefits including a choice of health, dental and vision plans. The MIT Libraries affords a flexible and collegial working environment and provides opportunities for training and skill development.