|Job Status :
||Full Time, Employee
||City of Richmond, Virginia
|Posting Date :
|Closing Date :
|Relevant Experience :
|Number of Positions :
||$36,375.00 - $59,749.00
City of Richmond, Virginia
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Technician
|Performs maintenance and management of agency-specific geographic information in relation to the implementation of the City’s GIS program. The position is responsible for using GIS applications, SDE Geodatabase maintenance, providing technical support for GIS projects, including support in mapping and geo-spatial analyses. The position works within a general outline of work to be performed, and develops work methods and sequences under general supervision.
• Exercised: Classification typically does not supervise.
• Note: Other reporting relationships may apply
| Example of Duties:|
The Department of Public Utilities – Technical Services Division – is seeking to fill the position of two highly qualified individuals for the position of GIS Technician. The City of Richmond operates five utilities Gas, Water, Sewer, Streetlighting, and Stormwater. Richmond is the seventh largest operator of a municipally owned natural gas utility in the country. The Gas utility serves over 100,000 customers and covers 330 square miles of service area in the City and surrounding counties.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Performing maintenance tasks specific to the Public Utilities Geographic Information System (GIS).
- Using GIS applications to input and edit data for the maintenance of the Gas, Water, Wastewater, Stormwater, or Electric Utilities infrastructures residing in the DPU-GIS database.
- Provide technical support for GIS projects, including support in mapping and geo-spatial analyses.
- Providing utility information request coverage and support for the GIS group as needed.
- Working closely with consulting engineering firms, software and process engineering firms, construction contractors and DPU inspectors.
| Qualifications, Special Certifications and Licenses:|
|Requires Bachelor's degree in Geography, Earth Sciences, Information Systems, Computer, or a related field.
A minimum of either one year of ArcGIS software-related experience, or completion of 3 credit hours in GIS coursework, or completion of 1 introductory class offered through professional training opportunities.
An equivalent combination of training and experience (as approved by the department) may be used to meet the minimum qualifications of the classification.
No Special Certification or License required.
The preferred candidate will have proven experience in ESRI’s ArcGIS software technology and knowledge of GIS processes, techniques, and practices, solid database management skills, solid personal computer skills, and excellent verbal communication and writing skills. Experience with utility specific GIS mapping is a plus.