|Job Status :
||Full Time, Employee
|Posting Date :
|Closing Date :
|Relevant Experience :
|Number of Positions :
||St. Louis, Missouri
Research and Analysis
Geospatial Analytics Scientist
Monsanto is passionate about using science and technology to improve agriculture. Technology continues to evolve at an ever rapid rate, and it is foremost to Monsanto’s success today and in the future to evolve as well. The Business Process & Analytics team within Research and Development (R&D) IT looks to find creative and innovative solutions to enable R&D success within our research pipeline while identifying and capitalizing on new opportunities to maintain and grow our position as the market leader. The ability to examine and optimize our current methods coupled with an eye on the future lends itself to a unique opportunity within our organization.
Monsanto has an opportunity available for a Geospatial Analytics Scientist to join our Business Process & Analytics team within the R&D IT Organization. The R&D IT organization works directly with Monsanto scientists to develop software platforms that enable cutting-edge research and development to revolutionize plant breeding and biotechnology. This position will support the Integrated Farming Systems (IFS) platform within Monsanto. The Integrated Farming Systems
platform is dedicated to getting more from every acre by integrating Monsanto’s expertise in seed science, field science, data analysis and precision equipment to develop solutions optimized for the conditions of a farmer’s field.
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Development of research strategies for discovery projects in the Integrated Farming Systems platform.
- Utilize the latest mathematical innovations to propose R&D software solutions that accommodate emerging trends in data quantity and quality.
- Design and test algorithms and conduct prototyping to evaluate possible scenarios leveraging computational and statistical techniques for the development of novel approaches for high-throughput data analyses.
- Works collaboratively with interdisciplinary scientists internal and external to Monsanto, organize challenging problems, develop new solutions, and work with business & development teams to ensure these solutions deliver value.
- PhD or PhD completion in the next 6 months in Mathematics, Statistics, Spatial Statistics, Geoinformatics, Environmental Modeling, Engineering, Computer Science, or Computational Biology
- Proficiency in Spatial and/or Temporal Statistical Modeling
- Experience with statistical modeling and data mining
- Experience analyzing and presenting complex data and proven problem solving abilities
- 3+ years experience with Statistical and Mathematical programming packages (R, Matlab, SAS)
- Strong publication record in leading scientific journals
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a matrix environment, leading & influencing people at varying levels of responsibility
- 3+ yrs. experience post PhD building Spatio-Temporal models and predictive models is highly desired
- Proficiency in Spatial auto-correlation modeling, building spatial econometric models, or Topological data analysis
- Pattern Recognition (Conditional Random Fields, Hidden Markov Models, Maximum Entropy Markov Models, etc)
- Proficiency in Machine learning algorithms and concepts (Ensembles, Deep Learning, SVM, etc.)
- Experience in stochastic modeling and simulation
- Experience working with agricultural/biological scientific data is highly desired
- Drive for translating business problems into research initiatives that deliver business value
- Creativity in defining challenging exploratory projects
- Ability to code in Java, C, Hadoop, or MapReduce